What is the best Rocky theme song?

• Gonna Fly Now

Votes: 200 39.4%
  • Eye of the Tiger

Votes: 235 46.4%
  • Other songs from the franchise

Votes: 16 3.2%
  • I'm one of those people who think Rocky V is the best film, with the best music 😎

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Heart's on Fire

Votes: 53 10.5%

• Total voters

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK
89863.jpg

Gonna Fly Now by Bill Conti, used throughout Rocky and Rocky II.

"Gonna Fly Now", also known as "Theme from Rocky", is the theme song from the movie Rocky, composed by Bill Conti with lyrics by Carol Connors and Ayn Robbins, and performed by DeEtta West and Nelson Pigford. Released in 1976 with Rocky, the song became part of 1970s American popular culture after the film's main character and namesake Rocky Balboa as part of his daily training regimen runs up the 72 stone steps leading to the entrance of the Philadelphia Museum of Art in Philadelphia and raises his arms in a victory pose, while the song plays. The song was written in Philadelphia. The song is often played at sporting events, especially in Philadelphia. Most notably, the Philadelphia Eagles play the song before the opening kick-off of every home game at Lincoln Financial Field.

www.youtube.com

Bill Conti - Gonna Fly Now (Theme From Rocky)

Bill Conti song, "Gonna Fly Now", which is the theme to the "Rocky" Movie series.

5cdc1030aafc282466d76f39827fff4d.1000x987x1.jpg

Eye of the Tiger by Survivor, introduced and used in Rocky III and used in Rocky IV.

"Eye of the Tiger" is a song by American rock band Survivor. It was released as a single from their third album of the same name and was also the theme song for the 1982 film Rocky III, which was released a day before the single. The song was written by Survivor guitarist Frankie Sullivan and keyboardist Jim Peterik, and it was recorded at the request of Rocky III star, writer, and director Sylvester Stallone, after Queen denied him permission to use "Another One Bites the Dust", the song Stallone intended as the Rocky III theme. The version of the song that appears in the film is the demo version of the song. The film version also contained tiger growls, which did not appear on the album version. It features original Survivor singer Dave Bickler on lead vocals.The song is also the title song to the 1986 film of the same name. "Eye of the Tiger" is written in the key of C minor.

www.youtube.com

Eye of the Tiger

Provided to YouTube by VolcanoEye of the Tiger · SurvivorEye Of The Tiger℗ 1982 Volcano Entertainment, III, LLCReleased on: 1991-01-01Guitar, Piano, Composer...

Rocky II run scene:

www.youtube.com

ROCKY II | Rocky's Run

Rocky (Sylvester Stallone) runs as people cheer him on to train for his fight CAST: Burgess Meredith, Burt Young, Carl Weathers, Sylvester Stallone, Talia Sh...

Rocky IV opening:

www.youtube.com

Rocky IV intro

Enjoy it

Last edited:

Macheezmo

Oct 25, 2017
I like Eye of the Tiger more as a song, but Gonna Fly Now is the one that makes me immediately think of Rocky

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
eye of the tiger is great but gonna fly now is better

Also the redemption theme from Rocky 2 slaps and I like measure of a man by elton john.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hearts on Fire is #1, but I'm not sure if that's the "theme song" for Rocky IV because there's a lot going on there.

Then I'd probably do Gonna Fly Now > Eye of the Tiger, but that might just be because Eye of the Tiger feels kinda played out to me? Like, it supplanted it as the "Rocky theme" in public consciousness and feels a little overrated as a result.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
They are both absolutely iconic.

But the instrumental for Gonna Fly Now is incredible so it got my vote.

However:

gonna Fly Now is pump up music.

Eye of the Tiger is get shit done music.

There is space in the world for both of them at the upper echelon's of Hype.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Eye of the Tiger as a whole song fails to live up to its awesomely motivating opening. The start is powerful, but the verse drops that intensity and just sort of struts around a bit. When the chorus kicks in it just feels so flat and motionless comparatively - the progression is correct but its structure never recaptures the strong, defiant spirit of the start.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
This is a tough one...I want to say Eye of the Tiger, but Gonna Fly Now is more "Rocky" to me. Gonna go with the latter, though Hearts on Fire is my favorite.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna Fly Now > Eye of the Tiger > Hearts on Fire

Lord Knows from Creed is also 🔥

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
It's Gonna Fly Now. That's Rocky. If you hear it, you think of Rocky training and running the steps, etc.

Eye of the Tiger is a song used in two of the Rocky movies that you'll also hear on classic rock radio, etc.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
No Easy Way Out is my favorite but its gotta be Gonna Fly Now for how iconic it is and how it is immediately associated with Rocky.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Eye of the Tiger is a better song. Gonna Fly Now is the better Rocky song.

Mucha

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Gonna Fly Now is iconic, also legit one of my favourite tracks to put on when I'm going for a run. It's the definitive Rocky song.

Eye of the Tiger after that, which is fantastic as a song.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
At first I thought "Eye of the tiger why is this even a question" but I did not realize that 'Gonna Fly Now' was called that. This song is iconic. And I haven't even seen any Rocky movies.

Kevers

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I hate Eye of the Tiger as a song so on principal alone I can't vote for it. Gonna Fly Now is iconic though, the scene alone sets it apart from the sequels.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna Fly Now is up there with the Star Wars theme, Vader theme, James Bond theme, the good the bad and the ugly theme. Literally one of the most iconic and memorable themes in film history.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
my favorite really is the medley of "Going the distnace & Final Bell" , it has elements of gonna fly now in there of course

www.youtube.com

Bill Conti - "Going The Distance" & "The Final Bell"

"Going The Distance" & "The Final Bell" are the tracks from the climactic boxing match in the 1976 movie "Rocky." Score by Bill Conti.

i used to have this rocky iv workout mix that had quotes from the movie mixed in with the tracks it was awesome.

xewind

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Gonna Fly Now is the song that makes me think of Rocky as soon as it begins

But, No Easy Way Out is my favorite of them. Love going to a run with it on lol.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
All Rocky movies are good, all Rocky musics are good. But Eye of the Tiger wins.

Bengraven