Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

I have Baltic birch ply, both 18 and 22mm, and two thick slabs of wood (although I doubt that they should be used for baffles). I also have two 12P drivers available. Dam, I am half way to making a set of the XL models just to hear them. Probably a good combination.

Reactions: 1 user
Now that i have read more about the build, I may consider using some of my aged wood supply for the exterior panels. I always said that I would use it some day. It's been 17 years. Maybe now?:cool: I'm like that with some of the wood. It is beautiful, but only speaks for certain projects. The Frugel Horn has been on my list for a very long time.

Joan-the-FH-extents.png

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
Many of the original recommended drivers are no longer in production. I have therefore searched for replacements and made a list, it is by no mean a compleat list. I have focused on 8Ohms drivers as that is what my OPT in my Tubelab SSE are designed for.
4-5" full range drivers

I did found two Monacor drivers that look interesting, decent SPL and relative low Qts. A little bit low on Xmas, however not as low as the Fostex drivers. Has anyone tried any of these in an FH mk3?

SPH-60X
SHP-68X/AD

I have used the Monacor SPH-165KEP as mid-base in a 3-way system with great results, that system a another kind of story with with DSP and 6-channels Amp. However was i impressed by the build quality and appearance of the Monacor drivers.

Many of the original recommended drivers are no longer in production. I have therefore searched for replacements and made a list, it is by no mean a compleat list. I have focused on 8Ohms drivers as that is what my OPT in my Tubelab SSE are designed for.
4-5" full range drivers
All the current 4in Markaudio drivers work fine; most of the 4in Tang Band fullrange units, the FF105wk, FF125wk, FE126NV, FE103NV, FE108NS (although I wouldn't given its overall response characteristic), FE108ESigma, the Monacors referred to have always been OK, Visaton's B100 etc. A few more, but those cover a reasonable range. The alignment will differ somewhat depending on their exact spec., and you need to pick one that suits requirements of course, so I'm not saying they all will work the same way, but they do go in -FH3 was deliberately designed from the outset to accept a reasonable range of drive units so people could play as they wish.

Reactions: 2 users