Blossfeldia

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
süleyman

Blossfeldia

Post by süleyman »

I saw a live Blossfeldia flower first time :)
Blossfeldia liliputana 'Villazon' R793

more pics.
Stuart E

Post by Stuart E »

Excellent photo Suleyman. That's a good-sized plant too.
http://blossfeldiana.com - a weblog about cacti
süleyman

Post by süleyman »

Thanks, Stuart :)
Your blog is great !.
Do you notice that, in cultivation, grafted Blossfeldias reach really big sizes ?
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

Nice one, Süleyman. I've never seen that variety before. And I liked the "fact sheet" that you posted in your gallery -- very interesting/informative!

-R
Tony

Post by Tony »

Great little bloomer süleyman. 8)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Stuart E

Post by Stuart E »

Ah, I didn't realise from that photo that it was grafted - yes, they grow huge don't they!

Glad you enjoy the blog.
http://blossfeldiana.com - a weblog about cacti
Craig Fry

Post by Craig Fry »

Blossfeldia's are great.
I have 100's of seedlings growing, they are about 4 months old, and still look like green dust.
I bought these two, B. minima last year, they are about 6-8 years old, and are about 1/2-3/4" across. The roots are huge and fat, and the top is flat like a pancake. They flowered on different days, but still produced seeds, the left plant seed pod fell off, below.
Craig
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Nice plants guys! I just check your site for the first time Stuart. I don't know what took me so long. Very clean and good read for cactophiles! 8)
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

and i'm yet to see my first live blossfeldia plant. but i will soon because i just bought some seeds. from what i gather it will be a very slow and difficult process just to get them out of the propagator!
süleyman

Post by süleyman »

thanks, friends :)
Craig : congrats. It is very difficult to keep them on their own roots :)
Craig Fry

Post by Craig Fry »

Heres my grafted plant of
Blossfeldia liliputana, from Miles, its pretty messed up, thats because I'm been removing the pups and trying to root them.
Only a couple of the pups have made it. This species (or least my plants) have very shallow roots, so I planted them on this rock, and spray them a couple time a week. They made it over a year like this.
These seedlings are about 4 months old. I bought a bunch of different types from Mesa Garden and planted them along with selfed seeds from my B. liliputana. My selfed seeds were way more viable, which was surprising.
Craig
peterb

Post by peterb »

I finally managed to keep a few Blossfeldia alive after germination for more than a couple weeks. They were sown back in November and are still little green spheres, very slow indeed.

I filled a small plastic container that has a fairly tight fitting lid (it was a rice pudding container) with regular seed mix, then covered that with a single layer of small turface (Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil). Then I soaked with filtered water and microwaved for a couple minutes. Then I scattered the seed amongst the turface and sprayed vigorously to wash them down between the small rocks. They have been covered with the lid for 6 months and bottom watered only twice that entire time. So far, so good. One of them is growing directly on top of a small rock.

peterb
Zone 9
Craig Fry

Post by Craig Fry »

I use the open container method, the one time I covered the seeds, fungus grew on them, and that was after sterilization.
I just spray 2 to 3 times a day with filtered water and sometimes with fert diluted by half, and check them out alot with a magifier.
Since the pots dry up every day, I get no fungus.
Craig
peterb

Post by peterb »

I was thinking of the open container for them, but I'm not reliable when it comes to hand spraying several times a day and it's ridiculously dry here in Phoenix.

I remember reading somewhere that Blossfeldia are poiklohydric, like Salaginella. They can completely dry up and dessicate and then be revived. I wouldn't try that (on purpose) in cultivation, however.

peterb
Zone 9
Craig Fry

Post by Craig Fry »

Peter, after thinking about it for awhile, I think you are right about the closed container for blossfeldias, also strombos. It would be alot easier to just let them be for a couple months, or years.
I will try a batch.
Heres the closed looking plant to blossfeldias, and so much easier to grow.
Copiapoa lauii, and some hypogea seedlings that spread like weeds around here.
Craig