Ric Ocasek - Solo Song By Song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by omikron, May 10, 2023.

1. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

Welcome!

[​IMG]

I've been contemplating doing a song by song thread for some time now and was looking for something not too obvious, something not beaten to a dead horse on the forum at this point.

I've settled on taking a closer look at Ric Ocasek's solo career. Ric was famous for the band The Cars and later as a record producer. Ric still found some time to put out solo albums after his Cars days. Sadly Ric left us in 2019.

This will be a learning experience for me too. I won't just be host. There are quite a few songs that I've never heard before myself. I hope there are enough of you out there to join in and discuss.

I hope to post two to three songs a week. At about 90 songs total, we should be done by years' end.

First let's level set and review the songlist. I did a quick pass through discogs and assembled this list for our thread.

Is anything missing?

Beatitude (1982)
    "Jimmy Jimmy”
    12” mix
    "Something to Grab For"
    "Prove"
    12” mix
    "I Can't Wait"
    "Connect Up to Me"
    12” mix
    Single edit
    "A Quick One"
    "Out of Control"
    "Take a Walk"
    "Sneak Attack"
    "Time Bomb"

“Steal The Night” (from Footloose soundtrack 1984 and The King Of Comedy soundtrack 1983)

This Side Of Paradise (1986)
    "Keep on Laughin'"
    "True to You"
    "Emotion in Motion"
    "Look in Your Eyes"
    "Coming for You"
    "Mystery"
    "True Love"
    "P.F.J."
    "Hello Darkness"
    "This Side of Paradise"

“I Still Want You” (from Made In Heaven soundtrack 1987)
    “Goodnight Little One” (from Nobody’s Child – Romanian Angel Appeal 1990)

Fireball Zone (1991)
    "Rockaway"
    "Touch Down Easy"
    "Come Back"
    "The Way You Look Tonight"
    Promo edit
    "All We Need Is Love"
    "Over and Over"
    "Flowers of Evil"
    "They Tried"
    "Keep That Dream"
    "Balance"
    "Mister Meaner"
    "Fireball Zone"

“Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah” (from Simply Mad About The Mouse 1991)

Quick Change World (1993)
    "The Big Picture"
    "Don't Let Go"
    "Hard Times"
    "A Little Closer"
    "Riding Shotgun"
    "Feeling's Got to Stay"
    "She's On"
    "I Still Believe"
    "Come Alive"
    "Quick Change World"
    "What's on TV"
    "Hopped Up"
    "Help Me Find America"
    "Telephone Again" (hidden bonus track)

Negative Theater (1993)
    "I Still Believe"
    "Come Alive"
    "Quick Change World"
    "Ride with Duce"
    "What's on TV"
    "Shake a Little Nervous"
    "Hopped Up"
    "Take Me Silver"
    "Telephone Again"
    "Race to Nowhere" (Alan Vega)
    "Help Me Find America"
    "Who Do I Pay"
    "Wait For Fate"
    "What Is Time"
    "Fade Away"

“Crash” (from Speed soundtrack 1994)
    “Just What I Needed” (from 1994 Various - In Their Own Words: Volume 1 - A Bunch of Songwriters Sittin' Around Singing )

Getchertikitz (1996)
    Quiet Please Performance In Progress -Written-By – Gillian McCain
    The Big Picture -Written-By – Ric Ocasek
    The History Of Glances -Written-By – Gillian McCain
    Tell Me -Written-By – Alan Vega
    Crowds -Written-By – Ric Ocasek
    Taking A Break From God's And Monsters -Written-By – Gillian McCain
    Smell War -Written-By – Alan Vega
    Quivering -Written-By – Ric Ocasek
    Judith In Disgust -Written-By – Gillian McCain
    Train -Written-By – Alan Vega
    All Men Should Be Boxers -Written-By – Ric Ocasek
    Mechanics Of Fluid -Written-By – Gillian McCain
    Living Crazed -Written-By – Alan Vega
    Attempted Suicide -Written-By – Ric Ocasek
    And Jesus Said That Whores Will Be The First To Enter The Kingdom Of Heaven -Written-By – Gillian McCain
    No Way -Written-By – Alan Vega
    Livingroom Lamplight Odyssey -Written-By – Ric Ocasek
    Listen Up, Saint Francis -Written-By – Gillian McCain
    Gangland Scag -Written-By – Alan Vega
    Daily Events Book -Written-By – Ric Ocasek
    With Eight Essential Vitamins -Written-By – Gillian McCain
    Metal Eyes -Written-By – Alan Vega
    A Certain Blindness -Written-By – Ric Ocasek
    Ghosts Before Breakfast -Written-By – Gillian McCain
    Shoot The ****er -Written-By – Alan Vega
    Everyone ****t -Written-By – Gillian McCain

Troublizing (1997)
    "The Next Right Moment"
    edit
    "Hang on Tight"
    edit
    "Crashland Consequence"
    "Troublizing"
    "Not Shocked"
    "Situation"
    "Fix on You"
    "People We Know"
    "Here We Go"
    "Society Trance"
    "Asia Minor"

Nexterday (2005)
    "Crackpot"
    "Bottom Dollar"
    Remix on Various - The Cornerstone Player 064
    "Don't Lose Me"
    "In a Little Bit"
    "Silver"
    "Come On"
    "I'm Thinking"
    "Carousel"
    "Heard About You"
    "Please Don't Let Me Down"
    "It Gets Crazy"

“Fade Away” (demo)
    “You Can’t Stop” (demo)

As a programming note on this list, I imagine we would only discuss the unique tracks (in bold) on Negative Theater as maybe just discuss Getchertikitz collectively as an album since it's more of a collaborative project that Ric did instead of a true solo album.

2. omikron

"Jimmy Jimmy"

My score: 6/10 (scoring within Ric's solo work)

"Jimmy Jimmy" is the leadoff track to Ric's first solo album Beatitude (1982). There was also a 12” mix and a single version of this song. The single version can also be found in mono on the 7" promo.

A thumping, fast-paced album opener. The synth lines floating around in the background have a strangely organic sound to them. Ric writes a song about the rebellious youth of the day. It starts off sounding like an old man shaking his fist at the whipper-snappers but then the line comes “America, nobody’s getting off, we’re all in this together…”. Now Ric seems to be indicating he thinks 80s America was taking the wrong approach to it’s ‘youth problem’ (whatever that is)?

Artwork from the "jimmy Jimmy" 12" single

[​IMG]

3. omikron

Hoping to grab the night shift here and garner some interest...

"Something To Grab For"

My score: 5/10

This track was a single off the album and a promo 7" contains a mono version of this song.

This track is a classic rock sound for Ric. It almost sounds more The Cars than Beatitude. It also doesn't make any waves. Ric seems content waiting for the sign that may never come from an enchanting girl.

The 7" picture sleeve:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bob C likes this.
  4. omikron

"Prove"

Score: 6.5/10

Aside from the album version, a promo 12” extended mix exists. A different, slightly longer mix appears as the album track on the 2020 CD reissue only.

Ric gets the funk groove going. The lyrics are some artistically phrased one liners about a girl. Seems he’s totally fine accepting her just as she is.

The 12" promo sleeve:

[​IMG]

Bob C likes this.
  5. Tod41

Tod41 Forum Resident

6. Jo B

Jo B Forum Resident

I'm not entirely familiar with his solo work so I look forward to this project, thanks for starting it up.

Much like Heartbeat City (The Cars) I lose interest in this song pretty early on, it just doesn't do much for me. I like the lyrics but I think it's his talk-sing style at it's worst.

omikron likes this.
  7. Jo B

Jo B Forum Resident

I had to look up the credits on this song because that guitar solo sure sounded like something Elliot Easton would have cooked up. The production doesn't do the song any favors does it; vocals are a bit buried and it could use some vocal layering and backing vocals. It could be that he was trying to avoid a sound too close to The Cars so he kept it stripped down. I don't remember this song at all but YouTube reminded me I had seen the video in it's day.

8. Jo B

Jo B Forum Resident

Hearing this for the first time, it's a bit hard to get past the 80's production but it's a really good song and something different. His vocals have the trademark nervous quality to them but this the song would also be nice done with his more rare unaffected style. So far I don't think anyone could accuse him of keeping his better songs for himself.

9. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I was pleasantly surprised to hear this song when the Cars played it on the Heartbeat City tour!

omikron likes this.
  10. omikron

I was not aware of this. Thanks. Here's the footage. Jimmy comes in at 16:55.

Sounds a little peppier than Ric's solo version.

It's a snappy beat but you're right, the talk singing does keep the song from going to the next level.

maui jim likes this.
  11. KUJayhawk

KUJayhawk Forum Resident

I have checked out most of his solo stuff and found maybe 1-2 excellent songs on each of his solo LPs. They all seems to have something of a classic Cars sound and are otherwise tuneful pop/rock songs:

Come Back - Fireball Zone
    Come On - Nexterday
    I Can't Wait - Beatitude
    Mystery - This Side Of Paradise
    The Next Right Moment - Troubling
    She's On - Quick Change World
    True To You - This Side Of Paradise

12. sinistrail sentinel

sinistrail sentinel Forum Resident

"Jimmy Jimmy"

This one has a more electronic pulse to it than what we had heard from The Cars at this point. It doesn't really scream "hit single" to me, so I was surprised it was chosen to promote the album (and with a music video, too). It's kinda "talky" and not the most melodic song, but I still like it all the same.

3/5

"Something To Grab For"

Ah, this is more like it. A great rockin' album cut with forward momentum, a great vocal performance, and a much better choice for a single. The guitar solo might not be remarkable, but its one of the few times Ric cuts loose with the instrument and is a moment I look forward to the most on this song. Easily my favorite on the album, but far from the only highlight.

5/5

"Prove"

After the one-two punch of the previous songs it seemed logical to slow things down a bit. This one probably could've fit snugly on a Cars album. A bit warmer song with a pleasant chorus, but not one of my faves on Beatitude.

2/5

13. omikron

"I Can't Wait"

This is the fourth track on Ric's Beatitude album. A live performance can be located on YouTube from a 1983 Rock N Roll Tonite TV episode. Here's the studio track:

Score: 5.5/10

This is a standard love song that sounds a lot like The Cars. Greg Hawkes is on synths on this track. The song has a pleasant melody but the pulse synth beats wear out the listener by the end of the song. It might be unintentional but after "Prove", "I Can't Wait" sets up a mini song cycle about a girl. In "Prove", Ric says he accepts this girl, she doesn't have to prove a thing to him. Here in "I Can't Wait", she still holds him at arms length, perhaps playing coy or not yet convinced the relationship will work. We'll see what happens in the next song ...

14. sinistrail sentinel

sinistrail sentinel Forum Resident

"I Can't Wait"

A bouncy fun track and perhaps Ocasek's most emotive vocal on the album.

3/5

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

if i am not mistaken, 'beatitude' was re-issued with bonus tracks.

16. You are correct. I don’t have the reissue (mine is just the standard original CD) — but it appears to have 4 bonus tracks, details are here…

Ric Ocasek - Beatitude

rjp and omikron like this.
  17. Jo B

Jo B Forum Resident

Mmmm, this was synth overkill even in the 80's. I can also hear this as a Cars song with straight up vocals and Orr singing the backing vocals (which seem to be synth vocals on this version), it might have been another hit for them. It's always interesting when a band member goes solo and you realize how much the others in the band might have been keeping things in check.

omikron likes this.
  18. elvismcdouglas

elvismcdouglas Forum Resident

This thread prompted me to find Beatitude in my record collection and play it. Thank you. Solid songs. Plus, the inner sleeve is just cool to read the lyrics, the purple font on black background. They really pop and are fun to read as far as reading lyrics goes. Makes me appreciate him all the more.

bluedemon25 and omikron like this.
  19. Mark in Minnesota

Mark in Minnesota Forum Resident

I own only Ric's first solo album. I was hooked back when it came out and still love it to this day. My go-to on there is I Can't Wait. I don't know why but it sounds like it should've been on a Cars album. If it had been it probably would've been a hit. Most people (except us) have no idea who Ric is by name.

omikron likes this.
  20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:tiphat:

21. omikron

"Connect Up To Me"

Track 5 on Beatitute. There was also a 12" remix of this song and a single edit. The CD reissues of Beatitude contain a different (and slightly longer) extended mix than the 12".

There's the longest CD version:

Score: 9/10

I really like this one.

"Connect Up To Me" possesses a high octane beat but is also incredibly light and airy. There is something about this melody that also has a sorrowful “Heartbeat City” feel to it. I always liked the electrical analogy of ‘connect up to me’. It seemed to make sense on this electronically charged track. The fast-paced guitar work is like it’s electrically charged and arcing all over. Greg Hawkes is on keys. The longer 12” mix does not get old at all.

This track is also track 3 in my imagined 4-song story arc where Ric is trying to get this girl's attention in "Prove" and "I Can't Wait". He makes one final plea in "Connect Up To Me" for her affections. As he stated earlier, he can't wait any longer.

The flipside of the Jimmy Jimmy 12" artwork:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flipside to the "Something To Grab For" 7" single:

[​IMG]

22. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

I'm totally up for this. Liked The Cars, obviously, way back in the day. Always thought his solo records were underrated gems. Appreciate his song construction and the underlying synths always about. A lot of the songs on his first two should have been Cars songs, and albums on reflection...but. Beatitude 4/5.

Playing catch up.
    Jimmy Jimmy 4/5. Influenced by Suicide really. Bubbling pop with a sinister undercurrent.
    Something To Grab For. 4/5. All the young men loved the video with the famous Playboy Playmate in it. Ric had great taste. This should have been a Cars song in reality. It had all the ingredients of beat, hard guitar, and great lyrics that grabbed their fans.
    Prove 4/5. Love the vibe here -- synth rules. Proper solo track.
    I Can't Wait 5/5. Fell in love with the song when I first heard it -- hooks, melody, and fantastic synths.
    Connect Up To Me 4/5. More synth heaven to me.

In the end, Ric, to me, could never do anything wrong with The Cars and his solo career.

zen archer and omikron like this.
  23. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

You know right away that this isn’t a Cars album. Not as melodic. Love muted guitar.

24. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I like this one because it a long intense intense song.

omikron likes this.
  25. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I was just a teen when this came out. This track got good airplay in Florida. The video was in regular rotation on MTV.

omikron likes this.