Nokia N95 Debranding Guide

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by Nimrod, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

Nokia N95 Debranding Guide

Read Me:

Before even reading any further, its worth considering if you really need to De-brand your Nokia N95.

Try the Nokia Software Updater and try the latest branded firmware that is available to you, if you are happy with it don't bother updating as it does involve risks.

Then again if your now on a different operator than the phone is branded to, or if your operator doesnt offer the latest firmwares (for example the 2.x version's) this guide may be for you, read on and take each step slowly. If you aren't sure, ask on here before continuing as many members have already done this and will be happy to answer any questions or concerns.

Please also note that you run this procedure at your own risk; although I have performed this with perfect results there is always the possibility when flashing your phone that you may damage it. If this happens you will require a Nokia service Centre to restore it.

Preparation:

1. Ensure that you have installed the Nokia PC Suite (on the CD supplied with the phone or downloaded from the Nokia website)

2. Download the following 3 pieces of software which are attached to this guide (see bottom):
    • Nemesis Service Suite
    • Nokia PC Suite
    • Nokia Software Updater
    Nokia PC Suite:
    http://europe.nokia.com/A4144905

Nokia Software Updater:
    http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/global/phones/software/NokiaSoftwareUpdaterSetup_en.exe

The Nemesis Service Suite is attached to the bottom of this guide as the program is in beta and the interface may change and the developer may start charging for this software.

Both application have been confirmed to work on Vista both 32-bit and 64-bit (x64) as well as Windows XP (I myself did this on a Vista x64 machine)

Walkthrough:

At this point, first of all make sure your phone is connected to your PC and seen by the Nokia PC Suite. Also close any running applications on the phone just to be safe.

Install Nemesis Service Suite, when it asks about what USB device to use, select "Virtual USB".

[​IMG]

Now open it up and you should see this screen:

[​IMG]

Click the red button which is highlighted and providing it found your phone, you should see a screen similar to this:

[​IMG]

Click the "Phone Info" button which is highlighted above.

[​IMG]

You should now see a screen like the one above. Now click the Read button which is highlighted above and it will read your phone value.

At this point, you will need to decide what product code you are going to set it to. If you live in the UK, a good working code is 0534841.
    If not, check out the attached file "Product Codes" at the bottom of this guide. Choose one relevent to your country / language if possible.

I would recommend not only writing down which code you are going to use, but also your current code which is displayed in Nemesis (incase you ever want to change it back). Remember, if English isnt your first language, use the code for your country so you get your native language by default.

Now, lets begin to debrand your phone!

Enter your new product code into the box and tick enable as shown below:

[​IMG]

When your ready, click "Write" - This process will take about a second and it will be done.

Congratulations, you have just given your phone a new product code, it is now ready to accept a original Nokia firmware with no operator rubbish.

Now load up the Nokia Software Updater and follow these steps:

[​IMG]

Click Next

[​IMG]

Click Next

At this point you will be shown a screen similar to this:

[​IMG]

Sadly at the time of writing I have already updated my phone and cant show you what the screen will say, but basically it will have your current version and a new version to upgrade to. Select the acknowledge tick box and click Install and walk away from your PC for about 30 minutes as it downloads and installs the lastest firmware.

Once the process is complete your phone will reboot and be updated. You will have to go through questions like time and region but once thats done, you will have the latest Nokia Firmware without operator branding :)

Attached Files:

2. Safinn

Safinn Addict

Good guide! Does this work for the Nokia N95 8GB?

3. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Resident Nutter Staff Member

Yes this will also work with the N95 8GB you just need to use some N95 8GB specific product codes, I have attached these codes to the bottom of my post.

Do not use N95 8GB codes on a normal N95 and visa versa, you will most likely cause serious damage to your phone if you do.

Attached Files:

4. Clint

Clint New Member

hi there,

i have got a nokia n95 8gb, bought it from ebay recently!!
    it is a T-mobile phone!! and obviously it doesn't accept local SIM Cards(I'm in Malta)!!
    maybe as you already know the phone does almost every function apart from calls and messaging without a SIM, but when insert a sim the just tells me SIM Card not Valid and stops there!! without taking the sim card off the mobile won't work!!

I've tried this method for at least 5 times to unlock but with no success!! and since it ain't accepting any sim card i can't update it so i just stop to the nemesis part of the process!! But nothing happens with a sim card in the phone!! same as it was before!!!

PLS really need your help!!! Do I need to get a working sim inside the mob to unlock it first?? I really don't know what else should i do!! i'm actually thinking of getting it to my provider and unlock it there!! (Something that i really don't wish to!!!) PLS help!!

Thx A lot in Advance!!!!
    Rgds
    Maverick

5. Nimrod

Nimrod Exotic Vendor

I'm afraid to say this will de-brand your phone but wont unlock any sim locks that take place.

There's many ways to get it unlocked for use with any sim card. Do you not have local phone shops or market stalls that can do it for you for a small sum of cash?